Job/activity or area Venue Hire at Southwark Cathedral
Description of activity: Use of Southwark Cathedral for Venue Hire by a third party
Significant Risks and Hazards: Transmission of the Covid-19 via contamination person to person, and via contaminated surfaces.
Persons at Risk: Delegates, staff
Consequences: Transmission of Covid-19 to others
• No person with Covid symptoms is to enter the Southwark Cathedral
• Any person who develops symptoms whilst on site to:
– Let Venue Hire team know immediately
– Be moved to a designated isolation space away from other people
– Arrange to leave site safely, avoiding using public transport as far as possible
• The Event Organiser to keep details of those who attend for 21 days after the event
• On arrival all delegates to sanitise or wash their hands for 20 seconds
• Social distancing to be observed at all times
• Face coverings are mandatory for all delegates except those who are exempt:
– People who cannot put on, wear or remove a face covering because of a physical or mental illness or impairment, or disability
– An employee in any outdoor setting where appropriate when they are acting in the course of their employment
– Where a mask causes the wearer severe distress
– Someone speaking to or helping anyone who relies on lip reading, clear sound or facial expressions to communicate
• Event spaces will be cleaned in line with Government guidance before and after use
• All meeting rooms and toilets will be deep cleaned in line with Government guidance and locked before and after use
• All event equipment will be sanitised in line with Government guidance before and after each event
• The Cathedral Facilities Team will be on site, cleaning public touch points (hand rails, handles, surfaces etc.) including the toilets, every hour
• Waste will be disposed of after each event in line with Government guidance
• Hand sanitiser will be freely available throughout event spaces
• Anti bacterial wipes and masks available in each meeting room to be used by delegates
• Doors will be propped open where appropriate to minimise touch points across site
• Windows opened as appropriate for air ventilation
• Delegates must not share pens, documents and other objects.
• We encourage event organisers to not use badges and to make their events paperless as far as possible to minimise transmission
• No more then two people in the lift at one time. Delegates are encouraged to use the stairs.
• Own access coat rails and coat hooks are available to use
• Anti bacterial wipes and hand sanitiser should be used by delegates when handling any equipment provided by the venue for the purpose of the event
• All presentations to be uploaded before arrival must be sent via e-mail to Venue Hire team or associated contractor 24 hours before event. Memory sticks should be handled by delegates only.
• All parcels must be delivered to Venue Hire team at least 72 days before meeting day.
• All used PPE and rubbish must be disposed in designated bins.
• All belongings must be taken before leaving the venue
• In the event that someone develops Covid symptoms on site, the spaces used will be deep cleaned in line with specific government guidance
Government Guidance: Cleaning in a non-healthcare setting: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-decontamination-in-non-healthcare-settings/covid-19-decontamination-in-non-healthcare-settings
• Event space capacities and seating plans are set using the 1m+ social distancing guidance. Delegates not to move seats during event. Seating plans can not be amended on day of event.
• Event organisers may opt for a 2m social distancing layout as required
• Delegates to enter the Cathedral via the Churchyard entrance and follow the one way route around site throughout the event.
• Arrival, break and departure times for each event will be staggered to reduce congestion. Please adhere to the timings given.
• A separate break space (as appropriate) and designated toilets for delegates are available
• Toilets are capacity constrained – delegates must queue outside the door at an appropriate distance if full and give way when entering
• Enhanced signage available across site reminding delegates of one way routes and health and safety measures
• Socially distanced day delegate menu with disposable equipment developed with caterer to minimise transmission
• No self service options available for catering
• Staff to wash their hands with soap and water for 20 seconds or use hand sanitizer a minimum of once and hour
• All staff to receive training on coronavirus control measures and standard operating practice before returning to work
• All staff to keep a appropriate distance from others at all times
• One person per 100 attendees to monitor social distancing measures being observed.
• A member of the Venue Hire team will give a briefing at the beginning of the meeting, giving an overview on housekeeping, keeping safe during the event and to collect health declaration forms.
• Staff will wear masks and appropriate PPE throughout the event
• Site visits to be minimised through use of 3D tour
• Planning meetings to be held online rather than in person
• All suppliers on site to provide satisfactory Public Liability documentation, RAMS and COVID-19 risk assessments for sign off by Venue Hire team before event
• Deliveries pre-booked and staggered with agreed access routes
• Suppliers to wash their hands for 20 seconds or use hand sanitizer at least once every hour
• Suppliers to wear appropriate PPE throughout the event
• Suppliers to keep a distance from others at all times
• Suppliers to maintain a list of event staff with contact details for 21 days after the event
• The Catering Team member will minimise contact at ‘handover’ points with delegates when serving food and drinks
Risk assessment completed by: E. Allen, M. Smith
Date completed: 23 July 2020
Review : 29 October
Next review: 29 November